Contact lenses provide a convenient alternative to glasses, offering clear vision and freedom of movement. However, proper cleaning and maintenance are essential to ensure their longevity and your eye health. In this blog post, we will provide you with a comprehensive guide on how to clean contact lenses effectively.
- Wash Your Hands : Before handling your contact lenses, it is crucial to wash your hands thoroughly with mild soap and water. Rinse your hands completely, ensuring there are no soap residues or perfumes left behind. This step helps prevent the transfer of bacteria and other contaminants to your lenses and eyes.
- Remove the Lenses : Gently remove one lens at a time from its case. Be careful to handle the lenses with clean, dry fingers to avoid any debris or oils transferring to the lens surface. Make sure to keep track of which lens goes in which eye to prevent mix-ups.
- Rinse with Lens Solution : Place the contact lens on the palm of your hand and apply a few drops of contact lens solution recommended by your eye care professional. Rub the lens gently in a circular motion using your index finger, ensuring all sides of the lens are thoroughly cleaned.
- Soak the Lenses : Transfer each lens into its respective chamber in the contact lens case, ensuring they are fully submerged in fresh contact lens solution. Leave them to soak for the recommended amount of time specified by the lens solution manufacturer or your eye care professional.
- Clean the Lens Case : While the lenses soak, it is crucial to clean the contact lens case itself. Rinse the case with fresh lens solution, then wipe it gently with a clean tissue or lint-free cloth. Ensure that no residue or debris remains, as they can contaminate the lenses and compromise your eye health.
- Rinse and Disinfect : After the soaking time has passed, remove the lenses from the case. Rinse them thoroughly with fresh lens solution to remove any remaining cleaning solution or debris. This step also helps to disinfect the lenses, reducing the risk of eye infections.
- Store Properly : Place each lens back into its respective chamber in the case, ensuring they are fully submerged in fresh lens solution. Close the case tightly to prevent any contamination and store it in a clean, dry place, away from direct sunlight and moisture.
Regular and proper cleaning of contact lenses is crucial for maintaining clear vision and optimal eye health. By following these simple steps, you can ensure that your lenses are free from contaminants, providing you with comfortable and safe wear. Remember to consult your eye care professional for specific instructions and recommendations tailored to your lenses.